Do you know how to clean nespresso machine? Having a Nespresso machine is like having your own Starbucks at home. But like any other top-notch kitchen appliance, a Nespresso machine also requires regular cleaning. It ensures its continuous and smooth functionality to serve you the best freshly made coffee every morning and for years to come.
If you feel your coffee is not tasting as good as it used to, or your Nespresso machine might have become a little sluggish in the morning, it’s the right time to clean your Nespresso machine. You can try out many methods to clean or descale your machine. Make sure to open each part and clean all of them thoroughly. Also, clean the drip tray regularly every day.
In this article, I will cover all the basic steps you can use to clean a Nespresso machine. You can also watch the following video before you start the actual process.
Let’s get into the detail of the cleaning process.
How to Clean a Nespresso Machine Guidelines
Nespresso machine is a well-equipped, top-notch home appliance that is also a little too expensive to afford. It serves you the perfect espresso in the morning, eliminating spending your extra dollars in Starbucks every morning. But I am sorry that this entire home appliance does not come with self-cleaning technology, which is not surprising.
How to clean your Nespresso Machine: For cleaning your Nespresso machine, you will need these few things.
- Dishwashing soap
- Dishwashing cloth
- 1 liter of a big container
- Gentle cleaning solution
- Descaling kit if needed
How to Clean Nespresso Machine Parts?
We share all parts detail, including how to clean Nespresso machine parts. Get all information from this post.
Cleaning the Water Tank:
You must remove the tank from the machine and clean it thoroughly with gentle cleaning soap. After cleaning the dishwasher, rinse it with running water and put it back with clean water inside.
Clean Cup Support:
Remove the cup support from the machine and clean it the same way; after cleaning, let it dry.
Capsule Container Cleaning:
Eject the capsule container and wash it properly with dishwashing soap.
Capsule head should be wiped down: The capsule head should be wiped down using a damp dishcloth.
- The machine should be wiped down properly, The outside of the machine should be wiped down with a gentle cloth, and any other cleaner can also be applied to the machine’s body.
- Run proper cleaning cycles of the machine, Set a container under the head of the machine holding at least four cups of fresh water. Quickly press the start button two times and wait for the cycle to run. Three cycles of water need five minutes to run through the machine thoroughly.
- Reassemble: All the components should be placed back into their places, like the cup holders and capsule containers.
What Is Descaling?
Another well-recommended process that cleans your Nespresso Machine entirely from the inside should be done every three months. This process is called descaling. One big reason for descaling your Nespresso machine is the water you use to brew your coffee contains some natural minerals like calcium and lime, which sets down in the machine. Descaling should be done regularly every three months to remove the limescale from the machine.
By not cleaning the machine after every three months, you can face some severe issues in it. The most significant one is that the limescale prevents the machine from heating the water to the optimal temperature, which can affect your coffee experience. Your machine will feel a bit sluggish. These minerals can also cause the machine to not work as per the SOPs and damage your machine’s functionality in the near future.
If you want to avoid an equipment failure in the morning and spending all day without your coffee, clean your machine as early as possible.
How to Descale a Nespresso Machine?
Descaling kit if needed: Cleaning the water tank: You must remove the tank from the machine and clean it thoroughly with gentle cleaning soap.
- Get your Nespresso Machine ready for cleaning: Eject the remaining capsule and turn off your machine by pressing the lid down. You have to press down the lid for 3 seconds.
- Add a descaling kit to your machine: Fill the machine with one full pack of a descaling kit and 8 ounces of water.
- Run a cycle: This is an essential process; you must press the lever and the power button simultaneously for 3 seconds and then press the button again. Now the descaling cycle will run, and it takes 15 mins to complete. When the machine is done, it shuts down automatically.
- Rerun the cycle: Now empty the water tank, clean it, and refill it with fresh water. Now replace the tank and press the power button to run through the clean water cycle. The machine will automatically stop when it is done.
- End of the descaling process: You have to end this process by pressing the button and lever simultaneously for three seconds. Now let the machine dry for at least 10 minutes before you use it again.
If you remember the creamy and frothy coffee your Nespresso machine made for the first time? You can always replicate the taste and texture of your coffee every time by just regularly cleaning and descaling your Nespresso machine. You just have to follow these easy and simple steps mentioned above and treat yourself with a nice, frothy, creamy espresso after you are done.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is vinegar good for the descaling of Nespresso Machine?
Never use vinegar to descale your Nespresso machine as it damages the machine.
How do I know if my Nespresso machine needs descaling?
Your coffee tastes burnt and dirty.
Is using the Nespresso descaling kit necessary?
Nespresso says to use their kit after every three months of machine use.
Can I run my Nespresso pod twice?
Yes, you can run your Nespresso pod twice.
Can I clean my Nespresso machine with just water?
Yes, you can rinse your machine thoroughly with hot water.